Abnormal exhaust noise on 02-05 Ford 6.0L Diesel Engines, is a growing concern, as these engines become older.
Many of these engine would fail inspections. Because, Of abnormal exhaust noise.
So, The source of this abnormal exhaust noise, is coming from between the exhaust manifold and the cylinder head. Furthermore, This engine never did have an exhaust manifold gasket from the factory.
Abnormal Exhaust Noise 02-05 Ford 6.0L Diesel Engines
So, There have been a whole list of changes and upgrades with this new engine. Consequently, Not all positive.
Unique, Would be a good way to describe it:
- Now the engine was smaller
- The stroke increased compared to the 7.3L.
- The bore decreased compared to the 7.3L.
Many Of The Changes Included:
- Different engine gear train
- Cylinder heads
- HPOP oiling system
- Even more sensors and actuators
- (EGR) cooler and (EGR) valve
So, For most applications, improvements usually come from cylinder head modifications. As a result, The cylinder head was upgraded. Now having four valves per cylinder. Also, There are two intake valves each measuring 1.33” and two exhaust valves each measuring 1.10”.
Hence, The reason for the “twisted” position was to help introduce swirl into the combustion chamber.
Finally, The End Result Is A Quieter Engine, That Makes Other Noises Come To Life.
The abnormal exhaust noise can easily be solved by installing a gasket. But, You would need to send the manifolds to your local machine shop to be resurfaced.
So, To solve this problem a new exhaust manifold gasket was made. Many suppliers have them available and some include:
- OEM # 1855240C1
- Felpro # MS96833
- Victor # MS19312
This same gasket also fits:
- F-450 Super Duty 2007-2003
- Excursion 2005-2003
- F-250 Super Duty 2007-2003
- E-450 Super Duty 2010-2004
- E-350 Club Wagon 2005-2004
- F-550 Super Duty 2007-2003
- F-350 Super Duty 2007-2003
- E-350 Super Duty 2010-2004
Finally, Other problems with the 6.0 diesel engine are said to include:
- Damaged injectors
- Necessary turbocharger replacements
- Exhaust noise
- And other frequent breakdowns
Thank You !