Engine Noises, Pay attention to Them.
Exploring Engine noises can be tricky to decipher, but most of them can be decoded right in your driveway.
Engine Noises-You will need to know what you’re listening for and how to listen.
Also having a heads up on the noise can reduce repair costs by addressing the problem before irreversible engine damage occurs.
When diagnosing engine noise, don’t forget basic techniques like running it with the drive belts removed, dropping the transmission into Drive and checking for broken accessory mounts.
Most techs are familiar with using a long screwdriver, socket extension or even a piece of hose as a stethoscope. A mechanic’s stethoscope will provide much clearer and accurate results.
Choose Your Help Topic Below
- Engine Knocking Pinging Rattling
- What is engine spark knock-Is it bad
- Valve Train Noise-What is it ?
- Hydraulic-Mechanical Valve Lifters-FAQ
- Engine noise under load-FAQ
- What is that knocking or ticking noise
- Crankshaft Thrust Bearing Failure – Causes & Remedies
- Engine Noise-Where Is It Coming From?-Is It Bad?
- Engine Damage-How To Stay Ahead of Costly Repairs
- Valve Lash Setting-Do You Need To Worry About It
- Mechanical Fuel Pumps-Basic Information And Troubleshooting